On behalf of the NASSP consortium you are invited to apply for the NASSP Honours and Masters programmes in Astrophysics and Space Science.
The NASSP honours course is based at UCT, where most of the lectures are given, but you may register for NASSP honours in three different places: the University of Cape Town (UCT), the University of the Free State (UFS) or the University of the Western Cape (UWC). Once you have completed all the requirements for NASSP at UCT you will be awarded the degree from the university at which you registered.
Your application should consist of the following:
- A completed online application form along with a hard copy to be posted to NASSP. An example of the application questions can be viewed here.
- Full Curriculum Vitae giving permanent address and telephone/fax numbers, date of birth, full names, nationality, educational history up to present date, employment history (if any) up to present date, details of computer systems and software packages used to date, details of research publications (if any) up to present date.
- Names, addresses, fax numbers, telephone numbers and e-mail address (if possible) of at least two referees who can comment on your academic ability, suitability for postgraduate study, and also give a confidential personal evaluation of your sense of initiative and computer literacy.
- Undergraduate academic transcript showing marks for each course taken in each year. This should be a photocopy of the original, but the photocopy should have an original stamp certifying that it is a true copy of the original transcript. Certified copies of transcripts of any subsequent postgraduate qualifications should also be included here.
- If you are applying for the Masters programme also include a certified copy of the original degree certificate (and any subsequent qualifications mentioned above).
- A letter of motivation, outlining why you choose to apply for a place on the NASSP, what your long-term career aspirations are, and how you think the successful completion of the NASSP will benefit those aspirations.
- Copies of completed admission form from UCT, UFS or UWC for honours or from UCT for masters. These are available on request and can also be obtained online for UCT, online for UWC or online for UFS. The original application form, with the appropriate fee, must be submitted directly to the university of your choice following their procedure.
- Please address any problems or dificulties when applying to support(at)nassp.uct.ac.za