Jump to Navigation

Is the Universe Really Dark?

Project: 
One of the most active areas of research in cosmology today involves trying to understand the nature of dark matter and dark energy. These two dark components, together accounting for about 95% of all the matter and energy contents of the universe, were proposed after recent realisations that the standard big bang cosmological model based on Einstein's General Relativity (GR) describes only the remaining 5% luminous forms of matter. This project aims to explore why dark matter and dark energy appear in the standard model, and the many alternatives (such as dark fluid or alternative gravity models) that can be possible candidates to replace them. The project can be handled at a not-so-advanced/technical level. The student wishing to take up this project will have the opportunity (but is not obligated) to get introduced to very basic tensor calculus but is expected to have some basic computational skills.
Node This Project Is Offered On: 
(NWU)

Supervisor

Amare
Abebe

Co-Supervisor

Maye
Elmardi
Research Area: 
Astrophysics


X
Available_projects | by Dr. Radut